Friday, June 26, 2009

Cookies, Clues, Camera & Cupcakes

So the day before my birthday I had to prepare a lot. First of all, I needed to bring something to work for everyone. That's what we do, you provide a treat for everyone on your birthday. I know it's a little odd but it works out if everyone does it because then we all get equal amount of treats throughout the year. So I decided on cookies from Walmart's bakery. I got three or four different kinds. Then I bought stuff to make cupcakes, ice cream and misc. things for my birthday. On my way home, Melanie called me and asked if she needed to get me a cake or something. I told her I already bought stuff to make cupcakes. "You know you're not supposed to make your own cake, Cassie," she said. "Well, I didn't want to assume that someone would, but you can bake the cupcakes for me." That's a really condensed version of our conversation, but you get the gist.

So I went home and gather up other supplies and then went over to Melanie's where while we watched The Bachelorette and Buffy the Vampire slayer, she made the cupcakes and I worked on other aspects of the party, like cue cards and clues. Also, I set up the cookies on a nice platter.

The next morning as I strode almost twenty minutes late into work I see Jen outside my cubicle working furiously on something and as she sees me she works even more furiously, but I see that she is hanging "Happy Birthday" signs up on my cubicle. So sweet! Then I let everyone know there are cookies for my birthday and so begins the barrage of "Happy Birthdays" and sweet sentiments. It was great. Lots of people thought my cookies were homemade, because they were very fresh and yummy. Of course, I corrected them. If I was around. So pretty good day at work.

I left a little early so I could finish things up for the party like icing the cupcakes, cleaning up the house, getting the camera ready and recurling my hair. It was not cooperating that day. It was all a big rush, but at 7:00 the first person arrived. It was Tiffanie, my sweet friend from church. On time. Can I just say, that I love when people are on time to events that I plan. It stresses me out when people are late. I mean five minutes isn't a big deal, but any more than that and I start to freak out a little. The only exception would be for a big party with lots of people that it doesn't matter when you show up. Just FYI. The rest trickled in minutes later so I was okay. I explained what we were doing. Earlier that week I sent everyone who was coming an email with the song "It's my Life" by Bon Jovi and the lyrics attached so everyone could learn it for my party.
"Okay, so I've made up clues for you all to figure out where we will be shooting a music video to the 'It's My Life'. I hope you all practiced and know it. I have made cue cards for the verses just in case. In some places you'll be in groups and in others you'll be by yourself. Look into the camera as much as you can. You can lip sync or sing out loud, whatever you are comfortable with. We gonna start right here so you all can get the feel of it."

So I set up the shot and had everyone but Loralee, David and Melanie go out to the back balcony. Loralee and David were the stars for our first shot. Melanie held up the cue cards. We started in the front yard and made our way to the back. Where then everyone was together. Some did really well and others well struggled a little. I knew editing was going to be key in this. Afterwards I gave them the first clue. "Sugarhouse Park!" So we all jumped into two cars and just as we were about to leave Carrie showed up. Yay! Wasn't sure if she was going to make it.
At Sugarhouse Park I had them break into three groups and gave each a section of song to figure out how they wanted to perform. It was great and fun (somewhat stressful) but it took a really long time and we were there for a lot longer than I had planned. When we were done we only had half an hour to maybe forty minutes of light left and still four more places to go. Aaahhh!
The next clue was for a place right in the middle of a busy street where there is a statue and each person alternated a few lines here and there while climbing on the statue. People were reluctant at first but once I showed them that I was willing they jumped on board. The light was pretty terrible so I hope some of it is useable. My friend Jason was already not having fun, because he hates the song and didn't know the words and didn't want to be on camera so we all had to force him a little but I had him help me a lot in other ways. On the way to the next stop I filmed Carrie, Loralee and David in the backseat singing while Jason drove my car, which I will never let him do again.

Since we were losing light, I had us skip going to a fountain at my work and we went straight to the haunted house Nightmare on 13th. It has awesome murals so I thought it would be cool with the song. And it was. Probably my favorite place that we went because everyone did a really good job there. For the last shooting location we went to Liberty Park where there is a mini amusement park with swing rides and a ferris wheel. Luckily, it was lit somewhat so that helped a lot. It was closed but I thought it looked cool with all the swings chained up. But again don't know how much useable footage there will be because it was hard for everyone to get the concept of looking into the camera, but the bloopers will be fabulous! Actually, I think it will turn out great. I'm excited to start editing.

Then we all headed back to my house. I let Jason drive my car home and I didn't like it. It's weird and felt like we were going so slow even though he was going slightly over the speed limit. So he sped up a little but then went a little crazy and swerving the wheel. On 7th East! Hello! So I got a little pissed off and then he kept driving crazy all the way home until I really snapped at him to knock it off. He can really drive me nuts, sometimes.

I calmed down and then we had cupcakes and ice cream. Tiffanie did her special Happy Birthday Dance for me which she only does if it is actually your birthday. It's so great, but will never be recorded for posterity, her rule. Then there was the traditional blowing out of candles and eating and then opening presents. Everyone was so great and I loved all of it. I really need to not plan my birthday parties though because it is kind of stressful. Only because I make it that way for myself. But I'm sure it won't be the last party I plan for myself, because I want what I want.

If you're wondering where I came up with this crazy idea, well it was from reading blogs.

4 comments:

Booklogged said...

Sounds like an awesome birthday. Can't wait to see your video. It will be so nice having the pictures and video.

julie said...

I'm so glad it went so well and, like Book, am excited to see the finished product! I'm even MORE EXCITED that you'll be here on Friday! Woohoo!

Stacey said...

I can't wait to see the video. You should have had our house as a clue, everyone would have loved driving out here too Nevada, I mean West Jordan!

Framed said...

What a riot! I can't wait to see the video and the rest of your photos. I can't believe you let someone else drive your car. WOW!!