Friday, December 04, 2009

I'm Movin on Down to the 3rd Floor

Well, I have finally, officially moved down to my new cubicle at Suburban Land Reserve. It's quite a bit smaller space, but as everyone likes to point out "You've got a Window!" That is nice, not that there is a particularly nice view but it's something. Though I was little worried about the smaller space at first, I think I'm gonna like it. It's kind of cozy actually and everything is within reach. What I like best is the high walls. I'm a type of person who loves privacy when I want it and my cubicle at PRI had high enough walls with a little dip where you enter. My new SLR cubicle has high walls all around and I specifically requested that. So my furniture and the walls look like they came from the eighties but it will do for now. I'm working on a temporary computer that is pretty slow, but hopefully that will get upgraded soon after the new year.

I've been pretty worried about this move even though I've been wishing for it for over a year. I think it would have been somewhat different if I had transferred and PRI had to hire a whole new person because then I could just train that person and be done, but where PRI is merging with another company I have to train several people who already have existing processes and other duties so it will be interesting once that gets started. Until then I'll still be helping PRI out with my things. I think now that I'm officially here I'll get more excited about this move as my new duties present themselves. I know everyone is very excited for me to be here because they really need the help.

I think my new boss is going to be really cool. I've been working with him now for a year. Luckily we already have an established equality, which is really nice because I feel like I can be myself and question his decisions and he'll be okay with that. I have to know a why behind things, it gets me in trouble, but it makes me feel better I guess. And I can tell him when he's being a jerk so that's nice. I don't think he quite gets me yet, but he likes to think he does.

I attended my first major meeting here at SLR. It was a budget meeting, which I have never attended before and Chuck (my old boss) was there too so it was almost satisfying being in there to show him "See these guys think I'm important enough to be here." I didn't say much in the meeting and lots of stuff went over my head, but I still found a lot of it interesting. I still don't know what my role will be with all of that but I liked being involved.

I'm pretty excited and nervous for what the future holds, but it's looking good. There are a great group of guys here and only one other girl (who is super sweet) so a lot less drama. I'll definitely miss seeing my PRI buddies upstairs everyday, but I have made them promise to still invite me on drink runs and our two days a week lunches. Things are looking up in my professional life, now if I can just get control over my personal one things will be awesome.

2 comments:

Framed said...

Love your Christmas background. I tried this one but only a fourth of it actually showed on my screen. At least, I know I had good taste. I'll have you help me at Christmas.

I'm so glad you're finally settled in your new place. At least part of your life is under control. I wish I could say that. You'd think at my age, things would be more stable; but no. PS. Don't tell your boss he's being a jerk. Jeez.

julie said...

I'm so glad the move has finally happened! I can't wait to hear as you get your new responsibilities and what you think of them. And, your space can't be nearly as small as my office - I'm in the kitchen!!! :)

It was great to see you this weekend. Thanks for going shopping with us. I was mega impressed with your self discipline; as you saw, mine left me awhile ago. :)

Hope you have a great week!