Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Decisions Decisions

Wow, so I know it's been a really really long time since I've posted. I've been really busy lately. Work has been crazy and hard that when I come home I just want to veg in front of the television.

The last couple weeks have been pretty crazy for me personally. My friend Melanie's roommate is moving out at the end of March and I've been wanting to move out of my place for a very long time, but of course it needed to be the right fit. I always thought moving in with Melanie would be perfect, but when the time came I hesitated. A million thoughts running through my mind trying to determine if this was the right thing to do.

I had already thought about looking into buying my own place, but was still really nervous about it so I didn't do anything. Well, with available room in Melanie's place looming I needed to look into really quickly, especially as the tax credit deadline is getting closer and closer. So I called a mortgage broker who was really nice and I got pre-approved for a loan. Awesome! So then I started looking online for condos or townhomes in my price range. Nothing really looked that great and again got too nervous to call a realtor. Meanwhile, Melanie's landlord is wanting a yes or no if I'm moving in.

Melanie was very willing to give me a lot of stuff to move in. I have cable and tivo right now, she was willing to get cable and we would all split the cost and possibly internet. The room I would be moving into is smaller than my current room but I would have my own bathroom. I have some large pieces of furniture and it seems like Melanie's place is already full of furniture. Where would these things go? She just said we would make it work. She really wanted me to move in and I loved the thought of living with a good friend. I think that's what I've been missing the last couple of years since Loralee got married.

I decided not to buy because I didn't have the down payment and I didn't want to take out a loan for that as well. So I figured I would just save and do it later. Sure I'll miss out on the tax credit but it just didn't seem right anyway. The next decision was just whether to move in with Melanie. Day and night I thought about all the pros and cons. I went back and forth so many times. I love my current place, the rent is great, my room is set up perfectly and there are a lot of perks to where I live. There is just one major detriment that most of you all know about that has made me very unhappy. My roommate's boyfriend sleeps over at house quite frequently. I have come to really hate his presence. I could go on and on but I won't.

But would it be worth it to move into a smaller bedroom, have my own bathroom and higher rent and going up in the number of roommates? There are three of them whereas I only have two now. This was the question in my mind. I prayed about it. I just couldn't completely commit to moving in with Melanie. If Melanie would move somewhere new with me that we both really liked, I would do it in a heartbeat, but I just couldn't decide and I knew the landlord was waiting. Seriously this was really stressing. It was the last thing I thought of when I went to sleep and the first thing I thought of when I woke up.

I emailed Melanie yesterday to ask the landlord what the security deposit would be. I was super close to saying I would move in. Sure, I'll be a little more cramped, but I'll make it work and all the fun will be living with Melanie will make it okay. I said this to myself quite uncertainly, basically trying to convince myself. I don't know if that was because I was just scared of change and the hassle of moving or I just knew it wouldn't be right. I really don't know.

Well, Melanie emailed me back today with a forward of an email from the landlord that said that the rent would go up with me moving in because they should have raised the rent last year for everyone but didn't to be nice but as people move out and new people move it would get raised. So now the new rent would be $75 more than I am paying and I just couldn't do it and Melanie completely understood. So this was a long story to tell you that I'm staying where I'm at for the time being. I will still look into buying or maybe just find a place of my own that I can afford. But right now I'm gonna try to save to get by next year.

4 comments:

Kate Weber said...

Good luck, babe. That sucks that you weren't able to move in with Melanie, but maybe that's just now where you're supposed to be right now. I hope things get better where you're at now, and I hope that buying a house is in your near future. Sounds like an awesome adventure for you to take!

julie said...

I'm glad you were able to make a decision that you feel good about. Sometimes it's a relief to finally decide something no matter what the actual decision is, isn't it?? I hope that your living situation improves until you're able to move out - whether buying or not.

Love ya!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Framed said...

Do you have a friend in China? I don't really have anythng else to say but I'm excited to actually use my computer again.