Friday, March 26, 2010

What I've Been Up To Part V

I've been wanting to date for a while now, but guys aren't really knocking down my door. I very briefly tried the online thing, but don't think I'm ready for that yet. About a month ago, a friend of mine asked if I would be willing to be set up since I wanted to go out on a date to get me back out there. I said sure without any details about the guy. What could it hurt, right?

All she told me then was that her boyfriend wanted to set up his sort of shy friend with a nice girl. So she passed along my number to her boyfriend who I guess passed it a long to the friend. As the weeks went by I never heard anything. My friends who knew about this would check in, but I had nothing to report. My friend, Sarah, would text her boyfriend to see what the hold up was. Not sure if that was a good idea. I didn't really care if it happened or not, but I was making my friends happy by being willing.

The last time we talked about it was on St. Patrick's Day when Sarah said she knows he has my number so he should be calling any time. Sarah had always made it sound like she and her boyfriend would double with us, but that she wanted him to call me first so we could talk or something. I was kind of glad of that. Doubling would definitely take the pressure off.

So tonight I received this text:

"Hi, it's Chad. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Track is keeping me really busy, but I have spring break coming up in April. Maybe we could get together for dinner."

Since I was never told his name, I wasn't sure if this was the guy. Also the whole "sorry it took me so long to get back to you." threw me off. Like I had tried to contact him or something. So I wrote back. "Are you sure you have the right number?" He confirmed that he was looking for me. We briefly chatted about how he his teaching Track in Payson right now and I thought we would chat more, but he took a really long time to respond to my texts. So I said I would be up for dinner.

We then worked out the details of the date. He asked me when would be a good time during the first week of April and what time and if this restaurant would be okay. I guess that's nice to check but I think I would have liked it more if he would have been like how about Thursday at 7:00? He take the reigns a little. Oh well, maybe he's nervous. I am too, it's my first date in a really long time and a blind one at that. He asked if I would like him to pick me up or feel more comfortable meeting him at the restaurant. I opted for the pick up. I think it would have been even more awkward looking for someone you have no idea what they look like. Doesn't seem like we'll be doubling, but we'll see.

I'm just going to try to keep the mantra in my head that this is just for fun, no pressure. Just getting to know someone new.

My early impressions are that I'm a little dissappointed he asked me out over text, but he is shy I guess but I think that is somewhat of a no no to do. So I've got two weeks to gear up for this thing. I'll keep you posted on any updates.

1 comment:

Framed said...

I think that since you are just doing this for fun means you probably will have fun. But I expect a phone call the next day with a full report.