Friday, April 16, 2010

Time to Grow Up?

I've been feeling this pressure in the air that now is the time to get everything in my life sorted out and figured out. Shed completely my adolescence and become an adult. It's not fun because I have no way to do that. Let me explain.

First step to growing up: Buy a house. Though I have thought about buying a house here and there it was just always something I didn't really want to do until I was married or could afford to live in by myself. Well, the time to buy (as indicated by the market) is now. The tax credit is going away. Interest rates at super low. One problem my criteria as stated above has not been met as well as right now I do not have a down payment. I still look online at all the listings that in my price range and think about living in them and and possibly living in them with a roommate. It's such a big decision and I don't want to rush it, but it's so hard to think about all the good deals I'm passing up. Basically, I don't have a down payment so really that ends that so I should stop thinking about it, I'll try.

Second step to growing up: Getting married. So many of my good friends are getting married this year. I already know of eight people who have gotten or are getting married in the first six months of the year. What is the deal? My friends Melanie and Amber think that this is the year for all of us. That we will all be engaged or married this year. It's just a little joke, but in a way it seems possible, for them anyway. I have nothing on the horizon right now, but who know still plenty of time. The problem is that if at the end of the year I am no closer than I am right now, I think I'll be majorly disappointed. All because of this weird pressure I'm feeling that these things should be happening to me right now.

I know that this is all silly and totally irrational and most of the time I think of these things in that way. There is just something in the air. It's got to be the volume of marriages and the volume of people buying houses. Again totally irrational, but if everyone's doing it shouldn't I? I do still have an adolescent feeling about me that I don't have these things and being almost 28 years old isn't it time I feel more like an adult? I think having major responsibilities makes you more of an adult and I really have none. My little sister just had a baby and in a way she is much more grown up than me and she's only 22! I know it's not good to compare myself to others and usually when I do I tell myself that when it's my time it will be great and for now just live life for me, however I want to. So I guess I'll just keep telling myself that until this weird feeling leaves me.

3 comments:

julie said...

Take your time! Growing up is over-rated. You'll buy a house when you're ready and you'll get married and have a family when the time is right. Until then, enjoy not having a mortgage and the flexibility to move whenever you want AND the freedom to do whatever you want because you're young, single, and wonderful.

Kaysie Lee said...

First of all I want to say that I agree with the above post.
Second, Some one told me that you never feel any older or any more mature than you ever did. You just can't kick as high as you used to. I don't feel like an adult, but I have been married nearly nine years. I have been a mommy for two wonderful years(on the 27). The only thing that has changed is that I finally know what it is like to love some one else way more than I love myself. Thrid, I do think that this is the year for change. There does seem to be something in the air, and I think that really good things are happening for everyone. I don't know what your good thing is, but I know it is coming. I think good things will happen for us if we keep our minds, and hearts open.

TPlayer said...

I have a solution that goes along with this post, and the one before it. Save the money you would spend on a house and buy a gym membership so you can be my workout buddy. It satisfies your #10 craving to lose weight. It will help with your #11 to get more sleep, because your body will be tired and actually sleeps BETTER with exercise. #12 You'd get to be a morning person with me, because I am one and will help you(plus we'd get to see each other more than once a month). #15 smaller pores (weirdest thing i've ever heard someone wish for) but sweating will help that and as for the husband thing...well we all know guys are shallow, so maybe it will help both of us in that department as well if we get our butts moving together. I say we do it!!!