Thursday, December 16, 2010

It's Christmas Time!!

Thinking back on the last six months since my last blog post, there really isn't much to say. Just lived life as normal. I went through a sad time when my grandmother died, but she lived a wonderful and amazing life. I'm so grateful for her example and all the skills and memories she bestowed on me. I will miss her terribly.

Other than that just mainly thinking about the upcoming holiday. A gifter's dream and nightmare all rolled into one. As most of you know, I am really big on gift giving. I usually have to reign myself in, especially when I check my credit card balance. But even then, the money doesn't bother me. I just love making and giving presents.

Over the last couple years, giving the right presents seems harder. I remember when I would be super confident that the gifts I made or bought would be absolutely loved by the receiver. The joy of knowing you have given the perfect gift (without asking what they want) is so wonderful. But alas, I haven't had that feeling for a while. I feel like my gifts will be liked or appreciated, but not sure if they will be loved. If I am sure, then that is because I asked for a list and picked from that. Which there is nothing wrong with that.

Lately, I've been making a lot of presents gleaned from the blogs I read. I have a whole list of crafts I want to do so that's where I went first to see what out that list would be liked by individuals on my recipient list. I'm quite proud of what I have made so far. I'll be sure to post pictures after the holidays.

Underlying stress has set in as it usually does for me. Only 12 days left until Christmas and I have a lot to do. Having a bout of pneumonia that left me couch ridden for a week really added to my rush. I've got the big items made so now it's just a few little things, but sometimes those take the most time. Then still some shopping to do for those whom I've racked my brain trying to come up with a present. I think I have it figured out, just need to find time to get to the stores.

Then the wrapping can begin and of course I must try to make it cute. I'm gonna keep it simple this year, but it should still be really cute.

It's all worth it in the end. Like I said, giving great gifts that my loved ones will really like makes me so happy. On the selfish side, it makes me look good. Hey, it's something I'm good at. The only downside to this whole being a gifter thing is the feeling of obligation. I hate it. Several years ago when I started being really good at gift giving, I would get a little bent out of shape that I wasn't receiving good or thoughtful gifts in return. Well, since then I've matured and I understand it doesn't come as easily as others. I try to appreciate any showing of love that is given to me. I hate feeling like I can't give people that I care about a gift because then they will feel obligated to give me one in return and they don't want to do that for some reason. Several of my friends' situations changed this year in that they started their own families and so they can't afford the money or time to "match up" as they would say to my gift to them. I realize that this is the case and don't expect anything. But I'm still single and have the money and time and want to be able to give while I can. When I get married and have kids, these presents will significantly diminish.

So to all my friends and family just please receive my gifts knowing I am giving it out of my love and appreciation for you in my life. Don't feel like you have to live up to my standards of gift giving because I know they can be high. Just make me feel wanted in your life and I will be ecstatic. Usually wanting to spend time with me does the trick. (:

I'm really excited to show everything I've made so in a way I can't wait for Christmas to come, but I still have a lot to do. So don't come any sooner than you have to, Christmas.

3 comments:

julie said...

Welcome back to blogging! I've missed you.

It's true, you're a champion gift giver. It's something I really admire about you...your generosity and ability to know what someone will like is amazing! I'm kind of jealous but mostly grateful to have you in my life.

I'm not near the gift giver that you are, but I still enjoying finding things for the people I love. I hope that this year's hardship (unemployment) isn't repeated next year so I can get the presents for people I'd like without worrying about money.

I was going to say we should get together next week before I leave for Denver, but it sounds like you may be uber-busy. Let me know if you'd like to. Otherwise, I guess we could wait til the next week. I'll be back Tuesday night.

Love you!!

Framed said...

Your blog looks gorgeous. I agree with Julie, you give amazing gifts. I would be so stressed out trying to do everything you do. I am really look forward to having you home for Christmas. Love you.

Loralee said...

I absolutely LOVED the presents you gave me for Christmas, Cassie!!! In fact, I am installing hooks in my kitchen to hang up the mugs because I want to show them off and not stash them away in a cupboard. I've worn the flower pin many times already and it is super cute! Thanks for understanding that, even though I am a gifter myself, I've gotten really bad at it lately. I still love you, though!